No matter what building project you’re working on, the goal is the same: achieving high-quality results without exceeding your budget. This is true whether you’re laying the base of a shed, building a house foundation, or constructing a towering skyscraper.
It’s a delicate balance. Spending too much on materials can quickly drain your budget, but skimping on them could lead to poor results (and even potential safety issues).
With over 20 years of experience, the team at Wright Minimix know concrete better than anyone. We understand how important it is to consider the costs of your project before you get started, which is why we’ve explored the costs of using ready mix concrete compared to manual mixing below. Let’s dive in!
What is Ready Mix Concrete?
Well, it’s exactly what it says on the tin: ready mix concrete is a premixed concrete that arrives at your worksite ready for use.
More specifically, ready mix concrete is manufactured in a batching plant or factory according to specific mix designs. Once the concrete is mixed, it’s loaded into specially designed trucks called transit mixers. These trucks have revolving drums to keep the concrete in a workable state during transportation. The concrete is then delivered to the construction site within a specific time frame to maintain its fresh properties.
At the construction site, the ready mix concrete is discharged from the transit mixer directly into forms, moulds, or designated areas. It can be immediately poured or pumped into position without the need for on-site mixing. Thanks to its convenience, quality, and time-saving benefits, ready mix concrete is a popular choice throughout the construction industry.
What is Manual Concrete Mixing?
Manual concrete mixing, also known as on-site concrete mixing, is when you prepare concrete directly at the construction site. It involves blending the cement, aggregates, water, and admixtures yourself, and then monitoring and adjusting the mixture as needed.
Manual concrete mixing is commonly used for small-scale projects and repairs. It requires a skilled workforce and proper knowledge of concrete mixing techniques to guarantee the quality and consistency of the final product.
Will Using Ready Mix Concrete Save Me Money on My Project?
In most cases, yes! The upfront cost of ready mix concrete tends to be higher than manual mixing, but there are plenty of ways it saves you money in the long term.
- One of the biggest benefits is the time you’ll save. Ready mix concrete is delivered to your site in a ready-to-use form, eliminating the need for on-site mixing and curing. This can hugely speed up construction, especially for large-scale projects. Faster completion times save you money by reducing overhead expenses, such as equipment rental and labour.
- Ready mix concrete is produced in a controlled environment with precise ingredient measurements. More accurate batching reduces material wastage and the costs associated with disposing of it. The use of automated batching plants also minimises the need for excess materials, as the right proportions of cement, aggregates, water, and admixtures are always used.
- By using ready mix concrete, you won’t need to mix, measure, and monitor the ingredients on-site. This allows your workforce to focus on other essential construction tasks, improving overall productivity and reducing labour costs.
- Ready mix concrete goes through strict quality control measures, resulting in a consistent level of quality throughout. This can help avoid the expenses associated with rework, repairs, or project delays caused by poor-quality concrete.
- Manual mixing requires equipment such as mixers, storage containers, and tools, which can add to the project's equipment costs. By using ready mix concrete, you won’t need to spend money buying or renting on-site mixing equipment.
- Ready mix concrete is delivered directly to your construction site in specialised trucks. This means you won’t need to arrange for on-site storage facilities. It also reduces handling and transportation efforts, as well as the potential costs of material storage, theft, or contamination.
In summary, ready mix concrete can save you money thanks to its consistent quality, time and labour savings, reduced waste, and rigorous quality control.
Save Money with Wright Minimix’s Premium Ready Mix Concrete
At Wright Minimix, we supply and deliver ready mix concrete throughout the South of England and Wales. We put cost and efficiency at the forefront, delivering your concrete on time and within the agreed budget. We also have a wide range of concrete pumps for hire, including the largest pump in the UK!
No matter the scope of your project, we have the perfect ready mix concrete solution for you. Our range includes prescribed mixes, designated mixes, and standardised prescribed concrete mixes, all conforming to British Standards (BS8500-2).
With a full guarantee on all our ready mix concrete mixes, we aim to save you money by only charging for what you’ll actually use, while still providing the high-quality concrete you need to complete your project successfully.
Get a quote online or call us 01179 582090 - we’re looking forward to working with you!