10 little known facts about concrete
Strong, resilient, enduring. Concrete is the most popular building material in the world, used to create anything from roads and buildings to sculptures and kitchen countertops. Discover more about this fascinating material with our 10 little known and unusual facts about concrete.
1) Reinforced concrete is resistant to water and fire – the only building material in the world to be impervious to both.
2) The first road to be built using concrete was constructed in 1893 in Ohio, USA - concrete is actually the best material around for building roads due to its unrivalled durability.
3) Concrete helped the UK defeat its enemies during the Second World War - concrete was used to build parabolic acoustic mirrors, more commonly known as listening ears, which reflect and focus sound waves. These huge structures were placed along the coast and were used to detect enemy aircrafts.
4) Concrete is becoming more popular for use in homes - including kitchen worksurfaces, smooth polished flooring and custom-made fireplaces.
5) The earliest evidence of concrete structures dates back to around 6500BC - they can be found in Syria and Jordan.
6) The tallest structure in the world is built from concrete - the Dubai skyscraper Burj Khalifa is a whopping 2,722 feet tall and used 330,000m³ of concrete to build.
7) The UK’s largest concrete pump trucks are found at Wright Minimix, based in South England and South Wales - weighing in at 45 tonnes, the UK’s largest Axle 6 Section M60 & M62 Meter Carbon Fibre Boom Pumps, with on board K Tronic Stability control, is capable of delivering 180m³ of concrete an hour.
8) Beijing’s new ‘starfish’ Daxing international airport is so big that China has poured more concrete every two years than America did in the entire 20th century.
9) The iconic Brazilian statue ‘Christ the Redeemer’ was built using concrete and is perhaps one of the world’s best displays of concrete sculpture.
10) Measuring 142 feet in diameter, the famous dome of the Pantheon in Rome is still the world’s largest unreinforced concrete structure - it was built by the Romans in 125AD.
If you’re in need of the perfect mix of this remarkable building material, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Wright Minimix today. We supply and deliver quality ready mixed concrete straight to your site; no fuss, no waste. To learn more, contact the team today on 0117 958 2090 and we’ll be happy to answer any questions.